BURNING MAN FESTIVAL 1995
Events and Attractions
Burning Man is an intensely participatory experience. We encourage spontaneous performance, costumes, and original campsite architecture. Bring musical instruments. Invent games. Respond to the desert. Make a statement. [NOTE: should you wish to contribute a performance or event you may list it on-site at our Central Camp bulletin board or have it announced in our newspaper or on our radio station.] The following is a partial list of planned attractions:
* Performances * Music * Theme Camps * Other Attractions * Information
* PYRODESIACS: Follow the Pyrodesiacs. Fire-performance troupe from Vancouver B.C. will bear fire through the night. * TOY LAND: Enter an enchanted land where happy elves operate erector-set crematoriums, stuffed animals smolder on rotisseries, and the funny little Jack-in-the Box spews fire. TOY LAND is the Los Angeles Cacophony Society's realization of your fondest child hood dreams of destruction; a spectacle of dozens of death-dealing contraptions and combustible playthings activated by costumed Toy Land Helpers, a live pyromaniacal Punch and Judy show, a wind-up Apocalypse with Saturday morning sound collage. Youthful exuberance. Exploding hydrogen. From Mattel. * COLLAPSING SILENCE: This Butoh-inspired dance troupe will evoke an eerie slow-motion world of ghosts and spirits arising from the ashes of a post-Atomic world. Dancers: Indra Lowenstein, Rene Jojola, and Terrance Graven. * FIREBALL: Burning Man's version of Rugby - with a flaming twist. Join us in a Shirts vs. Skins match to see who can move the ball across the goal line and into oblivion. LEATHER GLOVES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. * CITY OF ART: Art City of Ventura, will create a combustible city from lumber salvaged from the longest pier in California. You are invited to participate. Create bridges, towers, and architectural facades. This metropolis will be burned on Sunday night. To help, contact the Art City Collective at 805 653-6380. * FIRE LINGAM: Sculptor Pepe Ozan, assisted by a team of artists, will again create a 30 foot tall earthen chimney. This years lingam will be surrounded by clusters of "linguini"-- lesser towers sprouting like exotic fungal growths from the parental stalk. After Burning Man expires Sunday evening the lingam will be ignited. It's earthen skin will glow like molten magma as billowing plumes of sparks and tongues of flame surge skyward. * SEEMEN: San Francisco's Seemen presents "Art of the Ephemeral Spectacle", an interactive machine performance. Witness a remote-controlled golf cart which spews fire from a 15-foot articulated arm. Dodge catapult-launched flaming spheres. Visit Vulcan's Forge and craft crowbars, screwdrivers, and other magical amulets from molten metal. Much more. * FIRE DRAGONS: Dancers Crimson Rose and Will Roger will bring a climax to Burning Man on Sunday night. See the Maiden and the Minotaur enact a fiery seduction. * SIMONE THIRD ARM: A pyrotic celebration with swords and fire. * DANGEROUS RHYTHMS: A Dionysian frenzy of extreme physical exertion, direct elemental contact, and sonic rhythms. Scot Jenerik will drum his fists on sheets of steel which are bathed in flames. * JET CAR: Dezso Molnar will attempt to cross the 8th dimension with his jet-powered rocket car. "Rocket Camp" will also feature Dezso's band "Rocket Science" * SET THE WORLD ON FIRE: A dynamic sculpture installation by Tom Kennedy and Houston's Theater X. Participants are invited to incinerate a suspended earth sphere constructed of rebar and sheet metal. * MAGENTA CROWE: Magenta will mesmerize you while balancing a six-foot two-tiered jeweled candelabra on her head, candles in each hand, while she whirls and swirls in spiraling wave forms of movement. * PUSSYCAT CAVERNS: Direct from New Orleans, Pussycat Caverns presents Flossie and The Unicorns. Puppeteer Panacea Theriac will accompany Flossie and her many friends (including Dogbreath the Evil Wizard Man and The Amazing Spellcaster, the Avon Lady) through their many adventures. The puppet show employs pyrotechnics, magic tricks, and the fabulous brain machine. She will be joined by Mr. Amitron. * MANA: 1995 is Mona Jean's 4th Burning Man excursion. This year Mona Jean and Melinda Mohn, along with Scott Sheppard, an ex-LA Philharmonic percussionist, will create a "MANA." Mana, an Indo-European root word meaning both moon and mind, will name this slightly mutated "drawing down the moon" dance ceremony. * FIRE PLAY: An elemental exchange of power danced by Keith Nelson and Stephanie Mouseu. * DANIELA HASKARA: Journey into a techno tribal trance of transformation and transcendence.
* SCREAMING DIVAS: "Ho, yo, to ho!"* This All-Woman acapella singing troupe will perform a compressed (and somewhat deformed) version of Wagner's robust Ring Cycle on Saturday night. Join Siegmund, Brunnhilde, Wotan, and the Valkyries as they cavort in the Rheinland. Hear the wild shouts of goddesses. Behold their winged steeds. Note on attire: Please gird your loins-- if possible wear armored breast plates, horned hats, etc. (*Brunnhilde's war cry) * THE MERMEN: Early Sunday evening the playa will be transformed into an undersea fantasy. Return to Old Lake Lahanton lulled by the rhythmic throb of psychedelic surf. Beware the great white shark. * POLKACIDE: Which is the true dance of passion? The tango? The lambada? No. It's polka! Whirl amidst a galaxy of dancers on the desert plain. Bring your liederhosen. * JIM CERT: The accordion virtuoso whose passionate music and lyrics inspired the Czechoslovakian revolution. * KAT SHAREST: Music from Eastern Europe and Central Asia. * AMITRON: Amitron will accompany himself of the Electronic Kazoo, Disco Light Machine (a sound activated, light stimulated, 4 oscillator analog space noise making chain reaction device) and a 600 lb. theater organ. * SHARKBAIT CRUSHFEST: A mountain of metal, thousands of sticks, giant taiko drums, flaming pig heads, industrial waste...Crush your rainbow with SHARKBAIT and guests M.C. Whitey Ho and Leather Corndog. As the Man's corpse burns, the inferno begins...join the Crushfest! * MADSTONE: Rock n' Roll meets Middle Eastern high tech. This mobile band will wend it's way through our encampment. * THREE DAY STUBBLE: San Francisco's premier (indeed, only) exponents of Nerd Rock will again dazzle their numerous fans on Friday evening. Now that Madonna and Michael have fallen, only Donald and his polyester pants remain. * SCOT SHEPPARD: High-tech pneumatic percussion instruments crafted from PVC. * RAVE: SPAZ, Wicked, and many others will again mount a 72-hour session of non-stop trance dancing. Look for a 4-story tall tower, pulsating lasers, and other optical wonders. Your host: Turbo Ted. For further information call: (415)255-4544.
It may yet be possible to feature your Theme Camp at our Central Circle. For information call Harley at 415 522-9093. Our sole requirement is that your camp be interactive. Be ready to invite others into your fantasy.
* ART CAR CAMP: Art Cars of all kinds will converge on our camp from every corner of the nation. You too can have an art car. Bring your vehicle to the Art Car Workshop and convert that ordinary clunker into a unique object of truth and beauty. * BIG FOOT PLAZA SHOPPING MALL: Once you enter Bigfoot Plaza you may never want to leave. Visit its many attractions: Crazy Yeti's Bowl-o-Rama, Ydnar's Shoe Oasis, Burnin' Babes Beauty Saloon, Sasquatch Cineplex, McCophony (short duration) Wedding Mill. Presented by the Portland Cacophony Society. * DISGRUNTLED POSTAL WORKERS CAMP: The place to steer clear of unless you want your postage cancelled permanently. * THE CATHEDRAL OF THE WHOLLY SACRED: The Cathedral will be a collective shrine to all things that you/we find sacred, always, for the weekend, or just for the heck of it. Bring objects or images that are sacred to you, to the Burning Man experience, or that you just think might be interesting to consider sacred for a few days. (Please keep objects smaller than a bread box. Everything will be returned. If you bring candles, please make them the Catholic/Santerian variety in glass. We want to invoke the Burning Man, not the Burning Tent.) For more info: e-mail: email@example.com or call Nash at 415-647-1197. * NYC PLAYGROUND: Crux Productions, Ltd., a Brooklyn-based performance company, proudly represents its hometown. Crawl through a chain link entryway, dodging cops, prostitutes, beggars, artists and other seedy New York types, to partake of the freedom of sailing (legs pumping, hair flying, mud flaking off...) towards the sky. Or just tag your name on the giant graffiti wall. * BIRTHDAY CAMP: Today is your birthday. Everyone who visits Birthday Camp is guaranteed a present. * SAURINTOLOGY CAMP: Learn the arcane science of Saurintology. Get in touch with your Inner Dinosaur. Channel Dinosaurs. Dinosaur "Come as You Are Now" Party and Dinosaur channelling contest. * WINTER WONDERLAND CAMP: Snow cones, Igloos, etc.: a soothingly frigid fantasy. * ALGONQUIN ROUND TABLE CAMP: Dorothy Parker and Robert Benchley invite you to the Algonquin Round Table Camp. Recreate America's greatest literary salon. Bon mots and martinis welcome. Big hats and 30's threads de riguer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. * DREAM CIRCUS CAMP: Enter a metaphysical wonderland and assume a supernatural identity. See the Goddess-a-Go-Go show. Visit the Devil's Den. Participate in daily rituals of your own devising. Special featured performers, Tekachi, will appear with puppets, tribal drumming, and quantities of smoke. Surrender yourself to the inarguable logic of a dream. * ELVIS' GRACELAND TEA TENT: Visit the Sacred Alter-Ego Altar or the sumptuous make-out room. Near the Red and White Circus Tent. * CRUCIFIXION WITH A CELEBRITY: Be crucified with your choice of: the Energizer Bunny, Queen Elizabeth or Elvis. * ANON SALON CAMP@desert.com : Joegh Bullock brings San Francisco's premier art salon to the desert. Featured appearance by Bishop Joey, avatar of St. Stupid. Wedding ceremonies (Universal Life), fiery projections, Internet connection, Elvis crucifixion, sculpture garden, and more. Participate in a Pubic Ritual (contribute strands of pubic hair to be sacrificed Sunday night in Burning Man's groin). * XAOS CAMP: Like to stay up late at night and make loud noises? Chaos awaits. Location: far out in the NE quadrant of our camp. How far out depends on how chaotic things get. * WHITE TRASH CAMP: Follow the smell of mayonnaise to that mighty fine yard filled with old appliances, hubcaps, and a car that's gonna get fixed someday. * SHAKEDOWN STREET CAMP: Be transported to the parking lot at a Grateful Dead concert. * THE CHURCH OF WARM NOIZE: An experiment in the creation and destruction of a religious order. Join us through the night for rituals of sound and noize by the members of the Church of Warm Noize Choir (members of Bay Area experimental music groups Nux Vomica, Big City Orchestre, Crawling with Tarts, Deathranch and more....). Stop by to confess your sins and be absolved by our self appointed clergy. Invoke the spirit of the Son of TV White Noize. Apply to become a member of this weekend long order, get married, or divorced, or help write the bible that rules the order. Lots of noize...no gods. * CHECK POINT SALON: Master body painter Jason Norelli will decorate your body with Paleolithic patterns that evoke a tribal past. Sit, stand or jump for a provocative desert photo portrait by photographers Will Roger and Leo Nash. Check in point for all performers. Spontaneous performance. * MacSATAN'S BEASTRO: (Hell's Kitchen) No tofu here. Enter through the golden arches ('Over 5 billion souls') and be greeted by your host: Papa Satan. Papa will accommodate your every need (including some needs you may not yet be aware of). Look also for the giant leering dachshund head (courtesy of the Dogminican Order). Papa Satan's is a fixture on the playa and has been giving convenience food a bad name since 1990. Special featured performer: Mike Boner - half pipe organ/half porcupine! Real food available. * BITCHE WITCHE'S NICHE: Belly dancing and movement workshop. * TIKI CAMP: Gather among the sheltering palms of this enchanting oasis. Banks of blenders will transform any liquor and juice you might bring into exotic tropical coolers. Stop by Friday night with your booze party donation. * CROQUET CAMP: Enjoy this most civilized of sports on a regulation 60' X 40' gaming field.
* BLACK ROCK TO BURNING MAN LONG DISTANCE RUN: Join in this officially registered run/walk. Participants will assemble at the Black Rock. First across the finish line (stretched between the legs of Burning Man) will receive a prize. For details, contact John at (707)823-0590. * PYRAMID OF THE CAMERA OBSCURA: Crawl through the mysterious passages of a labyrinth housed within the pyramid to discover it's central chamber. Here a hidden lens projects a vivid panorama of the world outside upon a concave screen. Based on a design first conceived by Leonardo Da Vinci. * BOCCE BALL: While visiting our Central Camp cafe ask for the loan of bocce balls. A regulation court is located nearby. * ANNUAL DESERT FASHION SHOW: Plan to attend our 4th annual desert fashion show. We welcome designers and designs of any kind, individuals who come dressed in elaborate or simple costumes, or others who get inspired spontaneously. An overarching theme of this years show is LIGHT- sunlight, moonlight, bathroom light, reflected and refracted light, any sort of light at all. Attend the show on Sunday afternoon. All costumed participants are welcome. * JAVA COW: The Java Cow, bovine guardian of the playa, will again arise with the dawn. Assemble before the Man on Sunday morning, your favorite cup in hand, to receive a libation. "Do you want cream and sugar in your coffee?" Most emphatically, "No!". You will want it black." Witness the Sun traverse the spine of Burning Man and exit the through the top of his head. * BURNING SCULPTURE WORKSHOP: Design and build an effigy of your own and we will burn it. Bring your own materials (we'll supply fuel) or use those cached at Central Camp. * SOLAR OVEN POTLUCK: Calling all solar cooker chefs - potluck Saturday 6:00 PM. Call Dan for details at 415 621-1270 or check the camp bulletin board.
* BULLETIN BOARD: Post your messages on the front of the large board located in the center of camp. * BLACK ROCK RADIO: A public service radio station. * ERECTION: This year Burning Man will be raised, lowered, prepared for burning and re-raised on Sunday afternoon. If you wish to participate, consult our camp bulletin board. * COMMUNICATIONS: Our complete guide to keeping in touch in the desert.